There have been recent reports that the Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 patch KB4015217 breaks VMware virtual machines (VM), leaving them inoperable and a boot error of “Inaccessible Boot Disk”. The Windows KB4015217 patch is called “Cumulative Update for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016: April 11, 2017”. While looking at the KB4015217 Release Notes, it looks like it includes a number of driver changes
How To Boot To Your VM
To get back into your virtual machine, you can try the following steps:
- Boot into Windows 2016 (or Windows 10) ISO.
- Go to Repair
- Go to Tools to get a command prompt.
- Confirm the drive letter for the Windows image. Usually D: –> dir d:
- Run the following to view the installed packages which will also show a date of install.
Dism /Image:D:\ /Get-Packages
- Find the package(s) that were just installed by date. Run the following command on each package:
dism.exe /image:d:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB4014329~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.0