Windows Server 2022 comes with the classic SMTP Server if you need basic emailing capabilities from your server. Due to a misconfiguration in the MetaBase.xml file, your SMTP server might crash with error 0xc0000005 every time you try to send email. Also, if you go to the IIS 6.0 Manager and right click the SMTP virtual server to edit the settings, you’ll get an MMC error and won’t be able to edit any settings. These errors make the Windows Server 2022 SMTP feature useless. The fix for the 0xc0000005 error and crashes is fairly simple though.
Fix Windows Server 2022 SMTP Server Crashing 0xc0000005
- Go to Services and stop the IIS Admin Service and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Service
- Open Notepad or an XML editor as an Administrator
- Open: C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\MetaBase.xml
- Find this section:
- If it doesn’t exist add RelayIpList=”” in alphabetical order, or if it exists, clear out everything in the quotes
- Save the file
- Restart the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Service
- Run IIS 6.0 Manager and right-click on SMTP Virtual Server #1 and go to Properties
- Go to the Access tab and click the Connection button, then OK
- In the same Access tab, click the Relay button, then OK
- Click OK again to close the Properties window
These steps update your MetaBase.xml file (more specifically, the RelayIpList values) and fixes the SMTP Server from crashing with the 0xc0000005 error.