We found this recipe on a card at the grocery store and the original version was a stew, which we decided to make into a soup. The whole family loved it.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
4 – 4oz Catfish Fillets
1/2 tsp – Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 tbsp – Canola Oil
1 pkg – 16oz Frozen Bell Pepper & Onion Stir-Fry Blend (thawed) – We used fresh bell peppers and onions instead
2 tsp – Peeled & Grated Gingerroot
3 cups – Vegetable or Chicken Broth
1 can – 14oz Diced Tomatoes (not drained)
1.5 cups – Light Coconut Milk
2 tbsp – Freshly Chopped Cilantro
2 tbsp – Fresh Lime Juice
1) In a skillet, stir fry bell peppers and onions over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add gingerroot.
2) Cut catfish fillets into pieces. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and add to skillet. Continue to stir fry until fish is browned and can flake with a fork.
3) Add coconut milk to skillet with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer until cooked through.
4) In a pot, combine broth, diced tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice. Heat to a light boil.
5) Combine skillet ingredients into the pot and mix together.
To add more to the soup, in serving bowls we added pearled couscous and tried garlic brown rice and poured the soup over it.