• Author
    Keymaster
    #1455 |

For those of you that workout, what are your recommendations for supplements and when to take them and how much?

My main goal is weight loss in the stomach area, then muscle gain.

My wife uses the GNC Total Lean protein shake and I’ve been using that first thing in the morning to get my metabolism going.

Then I either do another one of those shakes after my workout or I’ve been trying the GNC Extreme 60 shake powder.

I take a GNC multivitamin in the morning and just yesterday started taking the Total Lean CLA. I’ve read mixed reviews of it but even after 1 day I can tell a difference in my appetite.

The wife has been doing a multivitamin with Carb Interceptor 3, also from GNC.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

I’ve also done some research and have read that whey protein isolate is better than whey protein concentrate, so I’ve been paying more attention to that.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

…she also just got some GNC Amplified Ripped pre-workout mix too.

• OMJ

I workout around 6am on an empty stomach, but I do have a cup of coffee b4….after workout recovery drink is 8oz of Trop50 & a scoop of Elite protein powder. I also take a handful of general supplements/vitamins/minerals, but nothing specific to working out or weight loss.

For awhile I was taking a thermogenic supplement & I believe it helped increase my metabolism, but I stopped taking them probably a yr ago, they made me feel kinda freaky.

I’ve also tried Jack3d, but only a couple times as it gave me stomach aches. I saw Beachbody has a new pre-workout supplement E&E, but I haven’t tried it.

good luck on your journey, stomach fat is the hardest to get rid of, and the last to go…your diet has to be perfect.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback! How much protein is in one scoop of the Elite stuff? Is that the only time you have a protein shake for the day? Or about how much protein do you eat in a day?

I know I can drop weight fast if I go to an extreme diet like Atkins where I eat a lot of protein and really limit my carbs…to like 10g/day. I did that diet for 2 weeks and lost over 30 lbs…I think I gained about 10 lbs back after I got off of it, so that’s still a loss of 20 lbs for me that I’ve been able to keep off for 4 years now.

I know my weakness is carbs…bread, sweets, taters lol. I’ve been better on the sweets and having chocolate protein powder helps with that craving some too.

• OMJ

1 scoop has 24g of protein, that’s the only protein shake I have for the day. When I 1st started working out, I tracked my intake using myfitnesspal, but once I got down to the weight I wanted I stopped tracking cuz I know what works for me. I would say I get about 75g a day, which is about right for my weight.

I try to stay away from carbs in general….but only the bad ones (sugar, white flour, etc). I have a terrible sweet tooth, sounds like we have the same bad habits ;). If I eat any sugar I’m like an addict, I gotta have more , so I try to keep away from it. I find if I can stay away from sugar & don’t have the cravings….I chew alot of gum though (all natural), so that has some sweetness.

good job keeping it off, that’s the hardest part!

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

Yeah, the carbs is the hardest part for me. About how many grams of carbs would you eat in a day when you were losing the weight?

I think I was doing about 100g of protein and trying to stay under 100g of carbs per day…but even with all that protein, the only way i seemed to lose weight is if I had even less carbs…like maybe 50g/day.

Sweets is definitely my biggest problem. I need to cut out all pop and stick to water as much as I can. I try not to buy unhealthy snacks because if they’re around the house, I know I’m going to eat them.

• OMJ

I don’t recall what I was taking in for carbs, I haven’t been tracking for awhile. I wanna say it was alot less than 100g….but I would say I eat at least 100g now & still lose weight as long as I keep away from the bad carbs.

I cut out pop along time ago, it’s so bad for you…hell, there is so much junk at the grocery store it’s crazy. The food industry is so corrupt.

I eat every 2.5-3hrs, I usually eat trail mix (just fruit & nuts, no m&ms) for my snacks, and drink alot of water.

I’m the same, I have the will power not to buy the junk, but if my wife does (and she does sometimes), or if she makes cupcakes or brownies, it’s too hard to resist, lol. I tell her not to buy the junk but she don’t listen, lol.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

LOL, that sounds so farmiliar! When my wife and her daughter first moved in, they were like “where’s all the snack food and junk food…you don’t have chips or cookies or anything”. So I told them the same thing, if I buy it I eat it, so its easier for me not to buy it in the first place.

I’ve been trying to use Mio more at home to flavor my water. I know it has a little fake sugar in it but its better than pop.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.