• Author
    Participant
    #1423 |

http://pocketnow.com/2013/02/26/gates-says-windows-phone-a-mistake

Seems like he needs to jump in again if he feels this way or make some changes.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

I can’t help but laugh at how the media turns things around such as this quote from Bill Gates. It just shows how there’s tons of fanboys out there for Android and Apple and they are quick to turn around a little quote like that to make Windows Phone look bad.

He’s clearly disappointed with their strategy from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone. Like the PocketNow article says, they were out first with smartphones and Pocket PC’s, but it was a limited crown, and mainly enterprise people…same with Blackberry. They weren’t targeted at the consumer at all.

Then the iPhone came out and all of that changed. The whole smartphone scene changed and went from being a business thing to a consumer thing. Then Android came along with the same views. Microsoft still sat on the old Windows Mobile, which was quickly getting out-dated by the competition. Blackberry had the same fault.

So as Windows Mobile continued to die, and Blackberry continued to die, now we’re getting Windows Phone and BB10 slowly making ground like Android did back when it was first launched.

I think Microsoft did the right thing by making a partnership with Nokia for Windows Phone. Nokia has really been pushing the platform and has been getting some of the big name apps to come over too.

IMO, they only need a few more things to really help them take off. They need to add a few more social features to the built-in People Hub, like Facebook tagging, liking of comments, etc.

Then they need a better Facebook app with all the features Android and iPhone have. Twitter released a major update today, Facebook needs to be next.

They need to get Instagram and Pandora like yesterday.

Once they accomplish that, then they need developers to push updates for their apps just as quick as they do on other platforms. I’m always seeing apps posting updates for Android and iPhone on the same day, but nothing for Windows Phone.

Finally, they need to stick it to BB10 and not even give them a fighting chance to pass them up.

• Riley
    Participant

I agree with most of what you said. I just see such a low % of users and to me it’s shocking considering MS has been such an amazing innovator and tech giant over the years. In the past, MS didn’t like losing at all and usually didn’t but I feel they aren’t as aggressive as before to make this successful. Like you said in the blackberry example, they shouldn’t be helping other platforms that much. I think Windows phone is doing a lot to make up ground but I guess its quite an uphill battle at this point. Certainly the Nokia partnership is going to pay dividends but I think they need to recapture double digit market share soon. I certainly would buy a windows phone in the future but would like to see it catch on a bit more first which actually makes me part of the problem. lol.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

I agree, but I also remember when Android first came out. It took them a long time to get to where they are now, and most of where they’re at today is thanks to Samsung. I remember the G1 and only being available on T-Mobile.

I think Microsoft is doing the right thing for the moment. They created a great partnership with Nokia which should benefit them how Samsung has benefited Android. They’re pricing their phones right. They’re releasing more than just top-end phones now so even the people that only want a low to mid-range phone will have the option to go with WP. All of those will help them gain marketshare. We have to remember, not everyone is geeks like us and want a top of the line phone.

I think if they can make it super easy to port apps from Windows 8 to Windows Phone 8 then the apps won’t be a problem anymore. Windows Blue is supposed to bring the two even closer. As more and more touchscreen computers come out, Windows 8 will get more popular and draw in the devs. The key there is to make it easy for them to write one app and make the port to Windows Phone almost automatic. Then, and only then, will they have a true ecosystem for devs.

• KIOWA69
    Participant

I have messed with a Windows 8 phone very little, but I just can’t like it, I’m not into the tile thing, and I won’t upgrade to Windows 8 either, I like 7 better and I think you really need a touch screen computer to get the full effect out of it. I guess I’m just so used to Android with Sense that I don’t want to use anything else. I definitely don’t want to see them fail because the more options that everyone has the better as I’m not a iPhone fan either, and I have a Mac and an iPod Touch.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

Windows 8 is DEFINITELY better with a touchscreen! I have it on one laptop without a touchscreen but I probably wouldn’t put it on another one. They’ve definitely made a shift in the market though because if you go to Best Buy now, probably 90% of the laptops they have now are touchscreen and before Windows 8, you hardly saw any unless it was a tablet.

• Dymnassonna
    Participant

I wish Microsoft well … would be nice if they became relevant once again. They certainly squandered a lot of goodwill and momentum when they took their eyes off the ball. Sort of like another forum that shall remain nameless … sigh!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.