• Author
    Keymaster
    #1342 |

A few days ago, Apple released its iOS 6.1 update for the iPhone, iPad, and iPods.

The untethered jailbreak is also supposed to land for it this weekend.

Are you going to risk it?

http://www.tecklyfe.com/blog/2013/01/28/apple-releases-ios-6-1-for-ipad-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

• Riley
    Participant

@mindfrost82 1097856 wrote:

A few days ago, Apple released its iOS 6.1 update for the iPhone, iPad, and iPods.

The untethered jailbreak is also supposed to land for it this weekend.

Are you going to risk it?

http://www.tecklyfe.com/blog/2013/01/28/apple-releases-ios-6-1-for-ipad-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

nope. as much as I would like the ability to tether free I’m not going to screw around with it.

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

I’ve jailbroken? jailbreaked? (Whatever grammar Nazis!) my iTouch. I’ve got iOS 6.1 and am running redsnow tethered jailbreak. I am really looking forward to this update.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

Let us know how it goes!

I did the greenpois0n (or whatever its called) back on iOS 5 and it was pretty simple.

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

I go through Jailbreak nation and even the tethered version of red snow is not too bad.
    Having said that… I will not be jailbreaking my iPhone. Just don’t want to go there.
    I never rooted my android phones… But did root my tablet.
    Maybe I’ll get (“my wife”) an iPad.
    LOL.
    p

• orangekid
    Participant

What’s there to risk? The iPhone is nearly impossible to brick via anything. Jailbreaking gives you so many awesome toggles, tweaks, and options. If I end up with an iPhone again soon that’s the first thing I’d do.

• Riley
    Participant

@orangekid 1097956 wrote:

What’s there to risk? The iPhone is nearly impossible to brick via anything. Jailbreaking gives you so many awesome toggles, tweaks, and options. If I end up with an iPhone again soon that’s the first thing I’d do.

I see your point. It certainly is tempting to do. I just moved to the iphone so I really don’t have any desire to mess around with it since everything works. Rooted and s-off every other device in the past. lol.

• rootlinux

If I had one which I probably won’t because I hate apple, I would break it.
    Hmmm, I may get one and break it just because I hate apple. 🙂

• Riley
    Participant

@rootlinux 1098216 wrote:

If I had one which I probably won’t because I hate apple, I would break it.
    Hmmm, I may get one and break it just because I hate apple. 🙂

Lol. I guess I’m just taking a break. Who knows maybe will give it a go down the road. 🙂

• rootlinux

@Riley 1098364 wrote:

Lol. I guess I’m just taking a break. Who knows maybe will give it a go down the road. 🙂

I would have to open it on day one.
    Could not take being locked into Apple app store.
    I like freedom

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster
  • AZTECHKA
    Participant

I’ve downloaded Evasi0n and have tried many many times to jailbreak my ipod… I keep getting an error. I heard they are experiencing extremely high traffic. Now I’ve managed somehow to put my iPod in a boot loop.
    I’m going to re jailbreak with Redsn0w teathered and wait for the 14 year olds to finish jailbreaking their ipods. Then try Evasi0n again. I tried it on my iPhone 5 too but no luck either.
    p.

• Riley
    Participant

@aztechka 1098913 wrote:

I’ve downloaded Evasi0n and have tried many many times to jailbreak my ipod… I keep getting an error. I heard they are experiencing extremely high traffic. Now I’ve managed somehow to put my iPod in a boot loop.
    I’m going to re jailbreak with Redsn0w teathered and wait for the 14 year olds to finish jailbreaking their ipods. Then try Evasi0n again. I tried it on my iPhone 5 too but no luck either.
    p.

Thanks for the update. Noticed some issues that require a patch as well.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

Did you disable your lockscreen passcode?

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

Yupp.
    The boot loop is not related to Evasi0n though. I couldn’t even get passed pressing the jailbreak button. It couldn’t go to the site to obtain the IPSW from their servers. They are overloaded.
    I put it in a bootloop by trying to restore it back to stock. I got frustrated and messed with some setting. I’ll try RedsnOw again tonight and then move on to EvasiOn. Not trying Evasi0n on my iPhone though.
    I heard of some issues. Like the weather app and some others.
    p.

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

Ok… So this is what I did… I went home and put my ipod in DFU mode and did a full recovery from iTunes. It stripped the iPod down almost to factory reset. iTunes removed the Redsn0w tethered jailbreak and upgraded it iOS 6.1. Then I turned off iTunes and fired off Evasi0n… Untethered jailbreak took no more than 10-15 minutes… Everything went smoothly without a glitch.
    Got my Pandora downloader (unlimited skips and no adds/commercials as well as song downloads) as well as Movie Box (streaming movie player). Both free and well worth the price of jailbreak.
    I have no issues with any of the other features of the ipod… Although I did notice the silent camera addons from cydia are not silencing the shutter sound. Not a big deal… I just hate how loud it is… It’s not for creepin’.
    Isntalled the free Glasklart theme via winterboard and NCSettings for some nice setting shortcuts on the drop down menu a-la Android. Renamed my carrier (from iPod to AZTECHKA) and remapped some of the home key functions (currently; long press brings up cydia)… I really missed “CABing” my windows mobile phone and was missing some of the gadgets in Android… Not any more. I’ll most likely be jailbreaking my iPhone as soon as I’m confident that Evasi0n is solid.
    p.

• Shane Owen
    Participant

I have the latest iPhone however the thought of jailbreaking hasn’t came to mind yet. Not sure I know enough about it to do it, I remember a friend who had the iPhone 3G and it was a pain in the ass when an update came out to get his updated. I guess if I knew more about the iPhone and the jailbreaking procedures then i might. With Android it was so easy to Root and Unroot the phone and there was enough developers that would have a rooted version of the latest release up that day.

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

Updating is not recommended as you lose jailbreak.
    I see jailbreaking more like “CABing” WinMo phone.
    You can change settings and stuff like that… Modify the look and even obtain some apps that apple rejected.
    There are also hacks to change how some of your apps function ( unlimited skips and no adds on Pandora) Of course I don’t do that kind of stuff… But it’s out there.
    The jailbreak process has gotten extremely simple… I remember rooting my GTab and putting CM7 on it and it took me and my son several hours of reading and tweaking to get it done. It was quite a process… Unjailbreaking is as simple as restoring from a back up. Just back up your phone to iTunes prior to jailbreak… If you want to return… Just restore the phone from iTunes and then restore the backup.
    I probably sound like the android gurus sound to me… It’s simple to them.

Go to http://www.jailbreaknation.com and watch the latest video about jailbreak using Evasi0n on your iOS 6.0 – 6.1 device.
    It is a snap.
    p.

• Shane Owen
    Participant

Thanks I will give it a look and do some reading on it. I miss the Win Mob days myself where everything was as easy as installing a cab lol

• Riley
    Participant

@aztechka 1099479 wrote:

Updating is not recommended as you lose jailbreak.
    I see jailbreaking more like “CABing” WinMo phone.
    You can change settings and stuff like that… Modify the look and even obtain some apps that apple rejected.
    There are also hacks to change how some of your apps function ( unlimited skips and no adds on Pandora) Of course I don’t do that kind of stuff… But it’s out there.
    The jailbreak process has gotten extremely simple… I remember rooting my GTab and putting CM7 on it and it took me and my son several hours of reading and tweaking to get it done. It was quite a process… Unjailbreaking is as simple as restoring from a back up. Just back up your phone to iTunes prior to jailbreak… If you want to return… Just restore the phone from iTunes and then restore the backup.
    I probably sound like the android gurus sound to me… It’s simple to them.

Go to http://www.jailbreaknation.com and watch the latest video about jailbreak using Evasi0n on your iOS 6.0 – 6.1 device.
    It is a snap.
    p.

Thanks man. As Terry said, I wasn’t really thinking about doing it but you are sure making a compelling case.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

I did it on my iPhone 4S when I had it. The process was simple. I remember downloading a tweak from Cydia that completely crashed my springboard though and it took some pretty tricky hackery to get my phone working again lol.

The biggest benefit is being able to sideload apps from *cough* the internet *cough* 😉

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

Yeah… It can be dangerous… But as long as you read up you can pretty much do anything.
    I have a weather clock widget on my home screen and a calendar that extends to show the entire month. Plus… I hear there is an app that will let you watch movies for free… I also hear that you can air play those movies to your apple tv or even your google tv if you happen to have one and run an app called airtight or you could potentially get a gigaware branded dock from Radio Shack and hook it up to a television. But that’s just what I’ve heard.
    p.

• JuitaJew
    Participant

I got tired of hacking, modding, and all of what goes with it. That’s why I love my iPhone. It just works, works well, and needs nothing form me to make it better. That goes for jailbreaking, as well. I personally don’t mind paying for an app that I like or use, but as a person who has developed and released software, I have a different feeling about supporting developers than most people.

• Riley
    Participant

@rainfreak 1099604 wrote:

I got tired of hacking, modding, and all of what goes with it. That’s why I love my iPhone. It just works, works well, and needs nothing form me to make it better. That goes for jailbreaking, as well. I personally don’t mind paying for an app that I like or use, but as a person who has developed and released software, I have a different feeling about supporting developers than most people.

Welcome RF. Good to see you.

• JuitaJew
    Participant

@Riley 1099605 wrote:

Welcome RF. Good to see you.

Thanks, good to be here.

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

I pay for my apps… I paid 15 bucks for SPB Shell for my Android phone.
    I just like hacking it and changing the look it reminds me of my WinMo phones.
    This is my iPod as it sits right now…

https://www.box.com/s/466xxzbkypt8536v35s6

iPhone still stock.

• Riley
    Participant

@aztechka 1099642 wrote:

I pay for my apps… I paid 15 bucks for SPB Shell for my Android phone.
    I just like hacking it and changing the look it reminds me of my WinMo phones.
    This is my iPod as it sits right now…

https://www.box.com/s/466xxzbkypt8536v35s6

iPhone still stock.

Man that looks great. so they have htc flip clocks available? damn this is tempting. lol.

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

Yeah.. It’s a pain to get them working right though. You have use an app called iFile to go into the lines of code for the app to change the city and country codes to your own… It’s not GPS enabled. I live in La Mesa but I am currently in San Diego Proper right now.
    The app is basically a live wallpaper… You can see it across all the screens. The calendar is a true widget and only sits on the page you put it on. But you can also lay app icons on top of it.
    It’s really interesting… I’m still learning.

• Dymnassonna
    Participant

Nice look, Aztechka! Really interesting how many geeks have migrated to the iPhone. Definitely has my attention.

• Riley
    Participant

@wmdunn 1101303 wrote:

Nice look, Aztechka! Really interesting how many geeks have migrated to the iPhone. Definitely has my attention.

Come over to the dark side. Lol! Good to see you here Bill.

• Shane Owen
    Participant

I like my iPhone its something different and for the most part works the way I want it to, I am not able to customize it as much as I did Windows Mobile or Android but that is because I have yet to jailbreak it.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

From what I read yesterday, the 6.1.3 update that will fix the lockscreen vulnerability will also disable the current jailbreak, so they’ll have to start from scratch to find another loophole to make the jailbreak work again.

• Shane Owen
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.