• Author
    Participant
    #1434 |

Check this out.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/07/apple-android-lead-us-market

Nothing overly surprising in the story except when you think 129 million people have smartphones in the US, up 7% since in one quarter! Apple sure does dominate in the US though. Very surprised they jumped 3.5% while everyone else slid. You would think that will change this year with BB launch.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

I think BB is still up in the air. I think corporate America is using the iPhone has the new high-end phone like the Blackberry used to be.

I work for a national corporation and they’ve shifted things. They still use Blackberries, but its for sales reps. Regional Managers and higher all get iPhones now.

I’m still rooting for Windows Phone to dominate the #3 position and maybe in a few years become #2.

• KIOWA69
    Participant

I agree iPhones are very popular, although from what I see Android is right there with them, and I don’t really think BB is nothing to worry about as they are usually used by the corporate world but I have heard some people saying they were switching to iPhones, and I personally don’t like W8P, I’m not into the whole tiles thing, I have to say I’m very happy with android and how you can customize it compared to the others.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

Android is the #1 OS, but Apple is the #1 hardware manufacturer…since Android is on different hardware and iOS is only on Apple’s.

I just told my wife today that I might want to switch away from WP8…I keep seeing how apps are changing and new features and WP8 is left out in the dust or get the updates months late.

With the Facebook announcement yesterday, they talked about updating mobile, but only mentioned Android and iPhone…WP8 wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Slacker Radio rolled out their big UI change and updated the website and their Android and iPhone apps, while WP8 is still left in the dust….I can’t even use my premium subscription with it since it doesn’t support any of those features…only the plus subscription. Not to mention there’s STILL no Pandora.

I still love the platform and how they’re trying to develop their ecosystem, but they need 3rd party devs/apps to step up willingly.

• Riley
    Participant

@mindfrost82 1110152 wrote:

Android is the #1 OS, but Apple is the #1 hardware manufacturer…since Android is on different hardware and iOS is only on Apple’s.

I just told my wife today that I might want to switch away from WP8…I keep seeing how apps are changing and new features and WP8 is left out in the dust or get the updates months late.

With the Facebook announcement yesterday, they talked about updating mobile, but only mentioned Android and iPhone…WP8 wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Slacker Radio rolled out their big UI change and updated the website and their Android and iPhone apps, while WP8 is still left in the dust….I can’t even use my premium subscription with it since it doesn’t support any of those features…only the plus subscription. Not to mention there’s STILL no Pandora.

I still love the platform and how they’re trying to develop their ecosystem, but they need 3rd party devs/apps to step up willingly.

Well put. They need to make huge investments into the platform and outperform the rest of the field. If you are behind the competition, you need to be better and I feel they are still lethargic. Oh well I guess time will tell.

• Tinkerbell

I would love to see them do better too. =]

• Riley
    Participant

@tinkerbell 1110192 wrote:

I would love to see them do better too. =]

Yeah, they were such an innovator back in the winmo days. Had a descent market share but for some reason they just took the eye of the ball. I think they are trying on all fronts to differentiate themselves with Windows 8 but I hope they don’t over complicate the issue. Things that Frosty highlighted like slow updates for apps should not be happening at all. MS needs to influence and move these types of issues along quickly.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

Over the weekend I made the switch to the iPhone5 lol

My main reason was the app issues and the lack of apps.

• Riley
    Participant

@mindfrost82 1110644 wrote:

Over the weekend I made the switch to the iPhone5 lol

My main reason was the app issues and the lack of apps.

Well MS just lost another advocate. It’s a shame but there are so many people that have done the same thing. My sister actually got a Lumia 920 instead of the ip5 after owning several iphones for years. She initially raved about it and was happy to switch over but returned it after a few weeks. Same reasons you mentioned. She just got tired of not being able to use the apps she is accustomed to using. I really think if they fixed this they would see a big improvement. If not, I think they are destined to low market share.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

I completely agree. People are so used to all the apps that its a big let down after switching. Then constantly hearing about all the updates and releases for Android and iPhone but nothing for WP. It’ll be interesting to see how apps handle BB.

• Riley
    Participant

@mindfrost82 1110726 wrote:

I completely agree. People are so used to all the apps that its a big let down after switching. Then constantly hearing about all the updates and releases for Android and iPhone but nothing for WP. It’ll be interesting to see how apps handle BB.

Agreed. Regarding BB, I bet that handle the app issue better for one reason. This is if for them. lol. If they blow this, they are probably gone so they have no room for error. They should be much more motivated than MS which will survive if their mobile does not take off.

• Tinkerbell

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.