• Author
    #1400 |

Anyone else looking forward to the big reveal tomorrow?

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

Just did a write-up with all of the specs:

http://www.tecklyfe.com/blog/2013/02/19/htc-one-flagship-android-smartphone-announced-available-in-march/

I made the change to Windows Phone a few years ago and have had the Nokia 900 and now the 920 and I love the camera on the 920, but this phone might be one to pull me back to Android.

I’m on At&t and HTC hasn’t been the greatest for reception compared to the iPhone and the Nokia’s, maybe this phone will be different though.

• Riley
    Participant

@wmdunn 1101304 wrote:

Anyone else looking forward to the big reveal tomorrow?

Looks like a beast. I would like to see more info on the camera and I hope for their sake its not just a marketing ploy. So far looks very solid.

• Dymnassonna
    Participant

@Riley 1101417 wrote:

Looks like a beast. I would like to see more info on the camera and I hope for their sake its not just a marketing ploy. So far looks very solid.

Yeah … this one looks like the real deal. It will be interesting to see Samsung’s and Apple’s responses. Even though I’ve been using Android since my WinMo days … really liking my first foray into IOS with my IPad Mini.

• Tinkerbell

I think I would look amazing using this device! lol

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

@Riley 1101417 wrote:

Even though I’m no professional photographer, the camera is huge for me too. I don’t carry around my digital camera but always have my phone on me for those moment shots. The Lumia 920 has a great camera and so does the wife’s iPhone 5. If its not on-par with those two, then its a fail for me!

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

@tinkerbell 1101507 wrote:

I think I would look amazing using this device! lol

Me too.

This is a beast I can live with. I would gladly hand my iPhone 5 to my wife and sell her 4S just to get this thing. I love HTC build quality. That screen looks amazing and the camera is enough to bring me back over to Android. Dual speakers and IR blaster are enough to make me start asking when it’s coming to Sprint.

Hmmm… Will this be the new EVO?
    The Sprint HTC EVO HD ONE 4G LTE Touch plus?

p.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

@aztechka 1102065 wrote:

The Sprint HTC EVO HD ONE 4G LTE Touch plus?

That’s one long name!

I like HTC’s build quality but their reception has been lacking on the last At&t phones I’ve had that were HTC’s. The iPhone and Nokia’s have been superior in that aspect.

• AZTECHKA
    Participant

That name is not much unlike my Sprint Samsung Epic Touch 4G. LOL.
    This phone is supposed to have very good reception as they carved into the unibody and put the antennas in there… Then they filled the space in with some sort of resin or plastic. The reception on my original EVO was sweet. Since then I went to 3 different Samsungs and 2 Motorolas and I hated each and every single one of them. Two Nexus S, two Motorola Qs, and one Epic Touch 4G. My Iphone gets solid connections.

I want this EVO or whatever they call it.
    I’m saving my pennies. Till the new Nexus comes out LOL… We’ll see.

• Riley
    Participant

I think it looks very promising. I like the fact that they made it slightly smaller than the DNA. Still waiting on actual camera reviews to see if its more marketing or more real world improvements.

• Riley
    Participant

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_vs_iphone_5_camera_shootout_surfaces_we_compare-news-5590.php

http://www.gsminsider.com/2013/02/htc-one-ultrapixel-camera-vs-nokia-lumia-920-pureview-camera.html

Just a couple quick comparison so I would like to see some more. Some of the pics on here were not taken very good. Initial thoughts are the One camera is good but not great. I was really hoping to see them put out one of the best camera phones in the market to really make a splash. I just don’t see it but like I said too early to tell.

• orangekid
    Participant

Sad to say it but I think the SGS4 is going to kick this thing’s ass market-wise. I love HTC build quality but I just cannot stand that whole “dev unlock” and hboot updates that make it hard to root and impossible to S Off and all this stuff, not only that but Samsung is so much better at marketing it’s not even funny.

I really do like HTC’s build quality am more excited about SLCD3 than amoled screens, but at the end of the day I may end up with a GS4.

• Riley
    Participant

@orangekid 1102724 wrote:

Sad to say it but I think the SGS4 is going to kick this thing’s ass market-wise. I love HTC build quality but I just cannot stand that whole “dev unlock” and hboot updates that make it hard to root and impossible to S Off and all this stuff, not only that but Samsung is so much better at marketing it’s not even funny.

I really do like HTC’s build quality am more excited about SLCD3 than amoled screens, but at the end of the day I may end up with a GS4.

Agreed. Never owned a Samsung device but there’s no doubting their dominance due to their marketing and brand awareness. They cater to all consumers as well whether it be folks like us that like to tweak or casual users. HTC’s only chance with the One is to make it a true game changer. Great design, specs and amazing camera combined with timely updates and tons of marketing. The SG4 will most likely be it’s equal in most respects but with an improved camera, expandable storage and removable battery. I guess time will tell.

• rootlinux

I have always been an HTC fan but I agree they are screwing themselves.
    When they started locking the hboot at every turn they started losing fans.
    I have an Epic 4G Touch in the house.
    Samsung can’t touch HTC build quality.
    Saying that I really think my next device will be Samsung. I love the Note line.
    Wish I would have gotten the Note 2 instead of my EVO LTE.

• KIOWA69
    Participant

Yeah I’m so tempted to get a Note but I just keep telling myself to hold off and see which carrier I go with, and I’m also an HTC fan and love their build quality, but I haven’t had anything but HTC in a long time so it might be time for a change depending on what’s the latest and greatest when I upgrade.

• rootlinux

I hit LTE not four miles from my house yesterday.
    If Sprint keeps unlimited I will keep Sprint.
    20 minutes in one direction is LTE, 4 miles the other way is LTE.
    My service has been going in and out so I am hoping it’s a good sign.
    I already have really good 3g here.

You can see which ones are LTE

[ATTACH]4[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5[/ATTACH]

• Riley
    Participant

@rootlinux 1102753 wrote:

I hit LTE not four miles from my house yesterday.
    If Sprint keeps unlimited I will keep Sprint.
    20 minutes in one direction is LTE, 4 miles the other way is LTE.
    My service has been going in and out so I am hoping it’s a good sign.
    I already have really good 3g here.

You can see which ones are LTE

Glad to see you are starting to get some LTE love in your neck of the woods 🙂

• rootlinux

@Riley 1102787 wrote:

Glad to see you are starting to get some LTE love in your neck of the woods 🙂

Me too bro.
    Never got use out of my 4G on the OG.

• Riley
    Participant

Hope this is not true. If so HTC once again dropped the ball.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/08/htc-one-shortages

• rrjskj
    Participant

@Riley 1110150 wrote:

Hope this is not true. If so HTC once again dropped the ball.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/08/htc-one-shortages

It could be but let’s keep our fingers crossed on that I really need a new phone ..

Sent from my shooter using Tapatalk 2

• Riley
    Participant

Apparently HTC is confirming this delay now and many retailers are pushing back the date 2 weeks. Man oh man what a buzz kill. If the camera is not really that good(Still a mystery for now) and that is the reason for the delay they are going to look bad on this.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/12/htc-one-delays

• rrjskj
    Participant

well that blows kinda figured something might happen to delay it at least its not apples fault this time lol

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

• Riley
    Participant

more info comparing this new ultrapixel camera to the lumia 920:

http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/13/htc-one-vs-nokia-lumia-920-camera-comparison#!prettyPhoto

*check out the comments section including some updates from Anton. He says their are other pics being taken (for other article) in daylight but unfortunately a lot of noise

Based off the comments and review, most people agree that the One camera is not a game changer. It seems to perform well but not awesome. Personally I feel this is disappointing considering HTC needed to put out the very best Android device on the planet this year and the upixel camera is the reason for the delays. Oh well, I hope things work out. Always liked HTC.

Edit: looks like Engadget likes the one camera a good bit. Now I’m confused. Lol.

• Riley
    Participant
  • Robert Russell
    Keymaster

I was going to mention that lol. I honestly don’t really know what Samsung did to become so big so fast with Android, because honestly Sense > TouchWhiz IMO.

I think one thing that helped Samsung is their one device model as their flagship, the Galaxy S series. They didn’t have a flagship on one carrier, and another with a different one. HTC had the Evo on Sprint, the One X on At&t, Incredible on Verizon, etc….and all of them were a little different from each other.

So I could see from a component manufacturer’s perspective…that would kinda piss me off lol. Then there’s things like the Samsung Galaxy and the iPhone, the same phone across all carriers with a different logo. The carriers can make up whatever names they want for them, but in the end, they’re all Galaxy S phones. Samsung made the right move.

• Riley
    Participant

@mindfrost82 1136916 wrote:

I was going to mention that lol. I honestly don’t really know what Samsung did to become so big so fast with Android, because honestly Sense > TouchWhiz IMO.

I think one thing that helped Samsung is their one device model as their flagship, the Galaxy S series. They didn’t have a flagship on one carrier, and another with a different one. HTC had the Evo on Sprint, the One X on At&t, Incredible on Verizon, etc….and all of them were a little different from each other.

So I could see from a component manufacturer’s perspective…that would kinda piss me off lol. Then there’s things like the Samsung Galaxy and the iPhone, the same phone across all carriers with a different logo. The carriers can make up whatever names they want for them, but in the end, they’re all Galaxy S phones. Samsung made the right move.

Samsung is number one because like you said they focused on the galaxy series and also because they market their devices so much better and have infinite amounts of marketing dollars compared to HTC. I agree sense is better but it’s also bogged down compared to others but sense 5 is definitely lighter from what i hear so that’s good. I still say the HTC One needed to be a game changer for HTC to turn things around. Based off the reviews I’ve seen and comparison with other devices it is a very good device but may not even be the best device in the market when it releases. I think the criteria should be the best appearance, most customizable, best camera, best performance, etc. I think they certainly got the best looking device for sure and may very well be tops in performance but certainly not going to beat others in customization and camera. Certainly not the best by mid year when Apple releases the 5s and other Android devices come out with snapdragon 800 under the hood. I bet IP5s is released mid year with a camera that will blow the doors off everyone else this year.
    I really like HTC and would get this device in a heartbeat. But since I value the camera performance highest and after seeing the camera comparisons I honestly feel its still a step behind the ip5, lumia 920, note2, and a few others including the sg4. Just not good enough imo especially when they market the camera as amazing.

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

I agree about the camera too. HTC cameras have usually been pretty crappy. The IP5 has a good camera, but I still like my Lumia 920’s camera better.

My old first gen Galaxy has a good camera too and I haven’t used a Samsung since then, but I’m sure they’re all pretty good since they should all be improvements over the previous models.

• Tinkerbell

I can confirm that the camera on this GS3 is super nice. I almost am considering selling my DSLR because of it. I am going to give it some time before I do though. lol.

• rootlinux

I am thinking of selling my EVO LTE and getting a Note II

• Tinkerbell

Are you going to try to carry that little fella in your pocket? Or? =]

• rootlinux

I have big pockets. LOL

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

All that’s missing in that pic tinkerbell is a pocket protector!

• rootlinux

Maybe just a case for the Note II.
    That would protect both. 🙂

• Riley
    Participant

Here is a solid review from Brandon and pocketnow.com. He actually used the device for 11 days so this may be the most complete review on the web:

http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/25/htc-one-review

Anyone planning on the getting this?

• Robert Russell
    Keymaster

It sure does look like a nice phone! I remember my first WP7 phone was the HTC Surround. A lot of people though it was a joke with its slide out speaker, but once they heard it compared to regular smartphone speakers, it sounded really good.

Now they’re incorporating more speakers into the phone, so when you have it in landscape, you get a speaker on both sides of the phone, which should give it some rich sound.

The camera reviews still seem so-so. While it might have a good lens, I’m not sure why they went with 4MP instead of 8MP, which seems to be more of a standard now.

• Riley
    Participant

@mindfrost82 1138714 wrote:

It sure does look like a nice phone! I remember my first WP7 phone was the HTC Surround. A lot of people though it was a joke with its slide out speaker, but once they heard it compared to regular smartphone speakers, it sounded really good.

Now they’re incorporating more speakers into the phone, so when you have it in landscape, you get a speaker on both sides of the phone, which should give it some rich sound.

The camera reviews still seem so-so. While it might have a good lens, I’m not sure why they went with 4MP instead of 8MP, which seems to be more of a standard now.

Agreed. I think they really have a nice device here that would have been the best if they managed to make the camera better.

• Riley
    Participant

Well today is the big day for the HTC one. Is anyone getting it here and if so please let us know your thoughts.

• Riley
    Participant

I checked one of the ATT versions out today. Have to say it was very nice. Blinkfeed was a little overwhelming but that can be turned off or hidden using another launcher. Also the indoor pics taken were very good I must say. I know the sacrifice will be detail/resolution on pics in good lighting but I have to say this phone is pretty good.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.